Sunday, January 19, 2014

TEAM 62 - THE OLD FOOLS


I've been riding all my life. I enjoy trail riding the best. Western. I am also a trainer of Standerdbred race horses. Every now and then that special horse comes along as it was with Stiver McGiver. When he had to retire due to breathing problems he became my riding horse. We have spent many a mile on the trails and he seems to enjoy every one of them. 

I joined the Michigan Distance Derby to prove that there can be good lives for these horses after their racing careers are done. That they are not crazy or ugly but can become your best friend. I've also joined for myself. At the age of 59, almost 60, I look around at other people my age and amaze myself on how active I still am. I've had many broken bones in my life. My most recent being my back. After surgery I went right back to it. It's like physical and mental therapy for me and I hope it never gets taken away.

No comments:

Post a Comment