Saturday, January 11, 2014

TEAM 2 - OTTAKEE



I am Brenda and we have a small hobby farm we call Ottakee Acres in beautiful West Michigan. I started riding 7 years ago after my friend decided I should learn to ride. I have a 23 year old Paint Talla Ho (Talley) that I have owned for 2 years now. He is nothing fancy but just a solid trail horse that has really helped me build my confidence.

We trail ride out our back door, down the dirt roads, county parks and state recreation areas. We often ride at Bass River, Pigeon Creek and Silver Creek. This year we hope to try some horse camping.

I ride with my 2 special needs daughters---Team Kale's Trails and Team Nikota's Rock'n Dakota. We are of the "slow and steady" wins the race type riders and you will rarely find us going faster than a walk so it might take us a while to rack up our miles.

My goal this year is to ride at least 500 miles.

7 comments:

  1. 1.05 miles Sunday Jan. 5

    YTD 1.05 miles

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on your first miles for Year of the Horse!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 0.62 miles of trudging through deep heavy snow

    YTD 1.67 miles

    We normally ride quite a bit more but the snow here is very deep and heavy right now so tough going on the older horses. Hopefully spring will be springing soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 0.27 miles 1-23-14 YTD total 1.94 miles

    Very cold. Rode just around the yard where my husband had plowed. Snow is way to deep anywhere else. Nice to be in the saddle again though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We ride the same trails--hope to bump into you sometime! Carmen (team 45 Holly's girl)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Where are you going to get all your miles? I am also in west michigan. I like to ride fast but will go any speed if you'd like to ride together sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Carmen--sorry I didn't see your posts. I must not have it set up to notify me of posts. I ride Bass and Pigeon Creek but I am NOT fast and really don't like fast----due ot a horse with a terrible rough trot and the fact that I have been bucked off and hurt a few times at a canter (not on this guy though) that I usually keep my rides with others to a walk. If you want a slow warm up or cool down ride, great but we are the slow and steady riders. If you like the faster stuff, that is OK with me, we just opt out.

    ReplyDelete